Solving Family

Law Problems

Throughout Southern Arizona

What if your ex stops paying child support?

On Behalf of | May 12, 2022 | Child Support, Family Law |

Caring for a child involves many different expenses, and child support can help parents ensure that their child’s needs are met. Unfortunately, some parents do not provide the support required of them by the court. What should you know about these situations?

How common is the failure to pay child support?

The failure to pay child support is more common than many may expect. According to census data, less than half of parents receive the amount ordered by the court. While many parents received partial support, around one in four did not receive payments at all.

What are your options if you stop receiving child support payments?

Parents who receive child support payments have legal options if their child’s other parent stops providing court-ordered financial support. Various provisions in Title 25 of the Arizona Revised Statutes outline the requirements for child support and discuss how child support payments are enforced. Some of the ways that the state might enforce a child support order include:

  • Garnishing wages, unemployment benefits or other funds
  • Seizing the paying parent’s bank account
  • Placing liens on real estate or other valuable property
  • Refusing to issue or renew a passport
  • Suspending the paying parent’s driver’s license
  • Suspending professional licensure like a medical license or teacher’s license

If your child’s parent has not complied with your support order or if you have concerns about your ability to pay the support amount required by your order, you may want to seek legal guidance. With help, you can explore your options, protect your finances and ensure that your child has the financial support they need as they grow.