Jump to Navigation

Operation seeks to arrest those who are behind on child support

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The stresses of a divorce are many. Amongst them are property division, alimony, child custody, and child support. While it may be extremely difficult to sort out these legal issues, the matter may not be completely resolved once the divorce is finalized. Instead, modifications of agreements may be needed in order to satisfy the needs of each party and to leave children in the best position possible. The area where such modification may be needed most is in child support.

In Maricopa County, the Sheriff's Office is conducting a roundup of parents who have not paid their child support. According to the Sheriff's Office, 622 warrants will be acted upon, 76 of which will be served on mothers who have not paid their child support payments. Police claim this time of year, with the start of the school year and the need for school supplies, can be a needy time of year for children. The Sheriff's Office hopes that placing non-paying parents in jail will give them time to think about their responsibilities. The top ten men in the roundup owe more than $1.1 million in back payments.

While many who fall behind on their child support payments simply refuse to pay, there are many others who fall behind because of changed circumstances. A lost job, a change in wages or an unexpected medical condition can change the amount of money the parent is able to pay for child support. Instead of falling so far behind that one gets arrested, he should discuss the child support issue with a family law attorney.

An experienced Tucson attorney can work with both parents to find an amount of child support that is fair, but still allows both parents to live their lives and remain involved in their child's life, if so desired. If an agreement cannot be reached between the parties, then an attorney will argue before a judge to have the child support modified. With an aggressive attorney by his side, a parent can hope that he can do what is right and fair for all parties involved.

Source: azfamily.com, "MCSO serving warrants on deadbeat parents," Andrew Michalscheck, Sep. 7, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information